Thursday, March 1, 2012

Swedish beggars in Bangkok

Good trip, but it's 3AM and my head is fucked 9 ways from Jupiter right now.

I met a really cool Japanese architect on the flight, we bonded over some Japanese nationalism and the leftovers of mine and Rubens meal from the night before. He gave me some pretty awesome tips on where to find the stranger things in Osaka. I hope I get to meet him again sometime.

Having landed finally in BKK I felt like the scene in Portlandia when they first get to LA and can't understand why the sun isn't covered by clouds. I felt cheaper than a crippled lady-boy hooker for not paying a cab to take me straight to the hostel. After walking for like 4 hours in the sweltering heat and sweating through every pore in my body I finally reached the right street. 

Out of nowhere comes this guy, mid 40s, kind of disgusting and sunburnt all over his body(you know the type) with one of those holes in his throat for smoking. He comes up to me and starts saying stuff like "Hey man! Where you from?? etc.."
"Sweden", I say. At which point he starts speaking Swedish(of course) to me instead and goes 
"Ja men jag med! Tror du att du skulle kunna hjälpa en hemlös med lite pengar, jag måste komma till flygplatsen och köpa lite mat, bara 20 baht räcker, etc etcc.."

Thailand, you may definitely not be my favorite country on earth, but you never cease to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment