Monday, March 19, 2012

Life is so haaaaard!



No but seriously, I am so god damn spoiled to get to live on this island and see and do all the things I'm doing and seeing.

I've seen baby turtles hatching, I've been teaching at a local school, diving siiiiiiick dive-sites full of every imaginable type of animal. If I even were to list the whole plethora of magnificent and ridiculous encounters with sea creatures I've had it would take up this whole post, so I'm just gonna share one of them;
A few nights ago, we went out for a night dive, geared up with flashlights we entered the calm dark water. The whole dive was very tranquil and peaceful, but with no types of animals that I wanted to see really, until we got to the end. The dive master bangs her tank and signals for octopus, we all go down and look at this strangely shaped rock. Sure enough, it must be an octopus, but it is so ridiculously well camouflaged it is barely visible. The divers move on, but I am so fascinated by the animal that I stay behind. Watching and shining my flashlight right next to the perfectly disguised being, it began to transform before my eyes. The skin changed form from rocky and rough to smooth, from pale green to bright red. The arms suddenly in full movement the octopus positioned itself on the other side of the rock to slowly assume the form of the rock it was perched upon once again. I could barely believe that my own eyes were really seeing what was happening before them.

In my dive training I'm now done with most of the rescue course, we only have one day left now and we're done practicing all the skills and theory we need to learn. All that's left now: HELL-DIVES!
A hell-dive is when everyone in the water knows that you're taking a rescue course so they do their very best to make it as horrible and nasty as possible, throwing off their masks underwater, inflating their BCDs, unhooking weight belts, bolting for the surface, pretending to be dead, panicking and grabbing on to you, unhooking things on your BCD and even pretending to touch underwater wildlife. The purpose of all this is so that you can demonstrate how well you handle these situations.
It is god damn awesome, plus every time we get down to the jetty all the dive masters jump in the water and pretend to be drowning so you need to jump in and rescue them while avoiding being drowned by their crazed panicking.

So far in my app programming I have gotten to chapter 8, so I'm getting deeper into the world of debugging, and hopefully pretty soon I'm gonna be ready to start making some apps of my own. Things are getting faster and faster for me as my learning progresses.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment