Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Coconut kids


We had a major rain-storm yesterday so Nishra's rain-cover got blown down. I went over to fix it while she was doing her swimming test and I see these kids pointing and looking at our contraptions strung to the trees. I try my best to tell them that we're sleeping there, to which they just shrug and walk past me to some other coconut trees.

At first I thought they were gonna play hide and seek because they were each hugging a coconut palm. When I see them one after another scaling these 10 meter tall branchless trees with nothing but their hands and feet my jaw dropped to the ground. One by one they somehow get the coconuts to fall down and then proceed to walk up to me with big smiles on their faces. 

I go: "Alright, how much?"
They say: "Three ringitt!"
I bring out my wallet and hand them the money while they giggle and whisper upon which the oldest kid (about 8) looks mischievously at me and says: "Fiiiiive ringitt!"
I laugh and give them the three ringitt anyway, and they walk off with big smiles on their faces. 

In many ways it's so surreal that I'm on this tropical island in the middle of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment