Saturday, March 31, 2012

Locked and Loaded

Big things have happened under slow connections, so no updates for a while.

Anywho, me and the girlfriend have been sleeping in our hammocks for three weeks now, in pretty much every kind of weather the tropics can possibly conjure up. Remarkably, the hammocks have held up perfectly under every condition. Well, besides monsoon/heavy/firehose rain, in which case we slept in the Dive center's bar one night and got in A LOT of shit for it too.
In fact, the whole dive center seems to be a bit on the sour side over us not paying the 95RM for accommodation. They've had a few talks with us about why we don't switch to their overpriced dorms. So I'm pretty much waiting for a proper shit-fest to break out at some point with one of the instructors yelling at us. But we'll burn that bridge when we cross it. Until then, what can I say?
Haters be hatin'.

I recently got my 40th dive and somehow managed to squeeze some Sipadan in there too!
Sipadan, by the way, is one of the most fucking amazing places I've ever been to. The sheer scale of life on that island is unreal. Every animal acts differently to people than they do on other islands as well, displaying a much more feral and inquisitive nature. This may sound strange seeing as most ocean life is fine with people and pretty much doesn't fear humans at all. But in Sipadan, I had turtles swimming after and chasing me, I had sharks just passing me by, looking at me and every other kind of huge fish you could think of just swimming up and looking at me. We saw these huge flocks of hundreds of Bumphead Parrotfish, the size of a small person crunching away at the coral. In some parts, as we hung on to the coral for dear life in order not to be swept away by current we saw giant swarms of barracuda, thousands of fish strong. First seeming like an impenetrable wall of fish, then swimming toward the surface forming massive tornadoes of fish. I know I told mom and dad I wouldn't, but with one of the dive masters leading us we swam a small bit into a huge cave which is a natural graveyard for turtles, where countless turtle skeletons have been found.

And with my rescue course finished and my 40 dives cleared I'm good to go for the Dive Master Training!!!! Today is the first day and we're just sifting through knowledge reviews in waiting for the actual practical stuff to get started.


AS FOR THE APPS:
I finished the book like.. a while back, maybe a week ago. But still: BOOM!

And! I'm in the middle of making my very own first app for the iPhone. I remember trying to make an app before really knowing anything about Xcode, and the difference between then and now having read the book is just insane. I'm able to code independently on a whole different level, but also take in tips and stuff from forums and actually get exactly what they're talking about. The craziest part is that the problem solving and the issue areas of the app are actually really fun to fix. I could actually see myself continue developing apps for a while.

My first app is basically a comic book app for some funny internet comics I'm a fan of.
I'm at the point that I can gather all the comics in one place, display them on small pictures and enlarge them to be able to scroll around in them. Now I'm gonna put in an animated intro screen with functions like randomizing the comics and getting to the comics archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment