Monday, March 12, 2012

Mabul


This part of my life, this part right here, is called being on a tropical paradise island learning how to scuba dive and make apps.

So for three days we have been living on the island of Mabul off the coast of Borneo. The whole place surrounded by turquoise waters and tons of coral reefs. The school here is kick-ass! Scuba Junkie sets the bar 30% higher than PADI requires it to, basically offering one of the best educations for dive masters anywhere in the world, which in turn basically guarantees you a job after you're done since people know about this place.

So far I've been getting a few more fun-dives in my log-book so that I can start the Rescue Diver and DMT courses. But nonetheless this week has been spectacular. The first day of dives I saw probably close to 10 giant sea turtles as well as countless other species of fish which I've barely even heard of just off the island. Today started with me waking up to watch turtle hatchlings crawl into the sea after which we went muck diving on this beautiful tropical island and saw so many things. Sea horses, invisible shrimp that clean other fishes and animals, super poisonous sea snakes, even a coconut octopus which is an octopus that uses coconut shells for protection. I can feel my confidence growing with each dive, and today I was really feeling how my buoyancy control reached a new level.

My app programming skills are reaching new levels too, I've managed to get apps working which let you move, shrink, grow and touch objects on the screen as well as change images with animations and redirect you to websites and other apps. Amazing.

Also it's been so good to finally see Nishra. I've missed her like crazy




I am feeling like shit right now though becaaaaaause we each slept in these camping hammocks strapped to palm trees. I know, look at the picture, looks like paradise right? WELL IT ISN'T! I slept like 3 hours last night, listening to everything from cicadas to jungle noises, worrying about villagers killing and eating us at night, rain and wind smattering at your head as well as having the trees crawling with centipedes as we put up the hammocks at night.

Not my idea of a good time, but we save like 160 SEK every night we do it.
So we'll see. One more night and I'll decide what I do the rest of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment